We've seen a lot of sad veggie sandwiches...and we're happy to report that this Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich is GREAT! We've been making it for years and we still love it as much as day one. This sandwich is bursting with flavor from fresh lemon, dill, and other herbs. And, it's creamy, crunchy, and high in protein. Give it a try—it might just become your new favorite sandwich.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to make: Comes together in only 10 minutes.
- Plant-based and protein packed: Sandwiches are usually centered around meat, but not this one! This vegan smashed chickpea sandwich is full of flavor. And, loaded with plant-based protein to keep you full.
- Versatile: The chickpea filling can be used in more than just sandwiches. Add it to a wrap, serve it as a dip, or scoop it into lettuce cups or grain bowls. Meal prep this recipe and re-purpose it throughout the week.
How to make (step-by-step photos)
This chickpea sandwich comes together in 10 minutes. Here's how to make it:
Find the recipe card below for the complete recipe, including all ingredients and instructions.
- Mashing chickpeas: A potato masher makes quick work of smashing the chickpeas. But, if you don't have one, a fork works too.
- Hummus substitute: For an extra-creamy filling, swap the hummus for mayo instead!
- Meal-prepping: You can prep a big batch of smashed chickpea filling and store it in the fridge (for up to 4 days).
- Preventing sandwich bread from getting soggy: We prefer to assemble the actual sandwiches on the day-of. Spreading mayo on the inside slices of bread can prevent the bread from getting soggy. It might seem counter intuitive, but it works!
Other serving suggestions
This lemon dill chickpea filling can be used in more than just sandwiches. Here are some of our other favorite ways to serve it:
- In a wrap
- Spooned into lettuce cups
- As a dip for crackers and/or veggies
- Added to grain bowls or salads for extra protein
Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich
- 1 (15 oz/14 fl oz/398ml) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 scallion/green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices whole-grain bread (gluten-free if needed)
- Mayonnaise (vegan if needed)
- 3 pieces lettuce
- Mash filling: In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, hummus, olive oil, and Dijon mustard to a bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas until they start to come together into a creamy filling (you do want some texture!).
- Add seasonings: Stir in celery, dill, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Assemble (see note 1): To assemble a sandwich, take two pieces of bread (toasted optional). Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each piece of bread, top with the chickpea filling, and lettuce.
- Assembly tip: If meal prepping, we recommending storing the filling separate from the bread - and just assemble the sandwich on the day-of.
- Other serving suggestions: Instead of sandwiches, you could also use this lemon and dill chickpea filling in wraps, panini, or as a dip with crackers and fresh veggies.