We've seen a lot of sad veggie sandwiches...and we're happy to report that this Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich is GREAT! We've been making it for years and we still love it as much as day one. This sandwich is bursting with flavor from fresh lemon, dill, and other herbs. And, it's creamy, crunchy, and high in protein. Give it a try—it might just become your new favorite sandwich.
Why you'll love this recipe
- Easy to make: Comes together in only 10 minutes.
- Plant-based and protein packed: Sandwiches are usually centered around meat, but not this one! This vegan smashed chickpea sandwich is full of flavor. And, loaded with plant-based protein to keep you full.
- Versatile: The chickpea filling can be used in more than just sandwiches. Add it to a wrap, serve it as a dip, or scoop it into lettuce cups or grain bowls. Meal prep this recipe and re-purpose it throughout the week.
How to make (step-by-step photos)
This chickpea sandwich comes together in 10 minutes. Here's how to make it:
Find the recipe card below for the complete recipe, including all ingredients and instructions.
Love sandwiches? Check out these other popular vegan sandwich recipes: BBQ Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches, Roasted Veggie Sandwiches with Peri Peri, and Pulled Jackfruit Banh Mi Sandwiches.
- Mashing chickpeas: A potato masher makes quick work of smashing the chickpeas. But, if you don't have one, a fork works too.
- Hummus substitute: For an extra-creamy filling, swap the hummus for mayo instead!
- Meal-prepping: You can prep a big batch of smashed chickpea filling and store it in the fridge (for up to 4 days).
- Preventing sandwich bread from getting soggy: We prefer to assemble the actual sandwiches on the day-of. Spreading mayo on the inside slices of bread can prevent the bread from getting soggy. It might seem counter intuitive, but it works!
Other serving suggestions
This lemon dill chickpea filling can be used in more than just sandwiches. Here are some of our other favorite ways to serve it:
- In a wrap
- Spooned into lettuce cups
- As a dip for crackers and/or veggies
- Added to grain bowls or salads for extra protein
Want more chickpea recipes? Check out our Mediterranean Chickpea Casserole, Vegan Golden Chickpea Noodle Soup, and Curry Apple Salad with Spiced Chickpeas.
Vegan Smashed Chickpea Sandwich
- 1 (15 oz/14 fl oz/398ml) can chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons minced flat-leaf parsley
- 1 scallion/green onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt (more to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 6 slices whole-grain bread (gluten-free if needed)
- Mayonnaise (vegan if needed)
- 3 pieces lettuce
- Mash filling: In a large bowl, combine chickpeas, lemon juice, hummus, olive oil, and Dijon mustard to a bowl. Use a potato masher or fork to mash the chickpeas until they start to come together into a creamy filling (you do want some texture!).
- Add seasonings: Stir in celery, dill, parsley, scallion, salt, and pepper. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Assemble (see note 1): To assemble a sandwich, take two pieces of bread (toasted optional). Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each piece of bread, top with the chickpea filling, and lettuce.
- Assembly tip: If meal prepping, we recommending storing the filling separate from the bread - and just assemble the sandwich on the day-of.
- Other serving suggestions: Instead of sandwiches, you could also use this lemon and dill chickpea filling in wraps, panini, or as a dip with crackers and fresh veggies.
Dani G says
This is a go-to in our house! So yummy.
So happy to hear that Dani! Thank you for sharing. Have a great rest of your week!
Been making this for years but just noticed the ratings function. My whole family loves this recipe. Sometimes we use mayo instead of hummus. Either way, it's so good!
We're thrilled your family loves this recipe Katie! And yes, thank you for noticing:) We did a big (and long overdue) update to our site and now finally have a ratings function. Yipee!
I've had my eye on this recipe for quite a while but finally made it this week. Too bad I waited so long!! It is so so good! I just love it! I've had it on toasted whole wheat, wrapped in a tortilla with brown rice and pickles and eaten straight out of the bowl when I just wanted more. This one is a keeper! It really hits the spot!
Hi Sandy! Woohoo, we're thrilled you finally made this recipe! Your tortilla combo sounds delish! We're going to try it with pickles next time, thanks for the inspo. We hear you: we often eat it straight from the bowl too LOL. Thanks for taking the time to write in and share. Have a lovely week ahead!
My husband and I truly enjoyed this delicious lemon and dill chickpea sandwich. I put ours in a wrap. Thank you so much. I know I will be making this again and again.
Hi Judith! We're so happy to hear you and your husband enjoyed this recipe! Thank you for taking the time to write in and share. Hope you have a lovely rest of your week!
A+ sandwich! Great crunch, a little zing with the fresh lemon juice, the dill brightens up the overall flavor and I added more of the Dijon because I can’t get enough Dijon!! Thanks for the recipe!!
Hi Angela! Yay, so happy to hear you enjoyed this sandwich recipe! And yes, nothing wrong with adding more Dijon. We love Dijon too! Thank you for cooking our recipes and sharing your feedback. Have a great rest of your day!
This is the recipe that got my son back to eating chickpeas after being picky about them for years. One of our favorites!
Hi Lindsay! Hurray—we're thrilled to hear that THIS is the recipe that got your son back to eating chickpeas. Glad to hear it's a hit. Thank you for sharing!
Absolutely delicious! lemon and dill are such a good combination. I use my pastry cutter to mash the chickpeas as I find it much easier than a fork or potato masher. Thanks for a great recipe!
Pauline Wickens says
Saw this recently on Instagram and decided it would be great with a bowl of roasted red pepper soup. It was amazing. Somehow those simple ingredients come together (quickly and easily too) to make something that is so far above its individual components. Left me feeling satisfied and happy all evening!
Made this today. I've had a lot of chickpea sandwiches, but this Lemon Dill is my new favorite.
Hi do you know that calories for this sandwich?
This look delicious thank you. And your jump to recipe link is brilliant. I’m beginning to find myself getting impatient wading through reems of text and photos to get to a recipe when I really just want to start cooking. I hope more sites start to do this.
Thank you for the feedback Jacquie! We're always trying to make the site/recipes accessible and user-friendly for readers, so we're glad to hear you like the jump to recipe link. If you have any other feedback, our ears are always open. Hope you enjoy the sandwich recipe as well! Cheers