During the cooler months we drink heaps of tea, so it's nice to have a caffeine-free option. This juicy and refreshing grapefruit mint tea is the perfect way to warm up. It comes together in minutes and requires just 3 ingredients (plus water)!
This drink isn't technically a tea, because there are no actual tea leaves (Camellia Sinensis) in it. That said, it does make for a delicious, hot, and soothing beverage to sip on. You could call it an herbal tea or tisane, if you prefer. I first had a version of this "tea" at a cafe in Toronto. The cafe was at the bottom of an office building I used to work from—and during breaks, I'd shell out far too much money for this tasty beverage. Spoiler alert: this drink is super simple (and much cheaper) to make yourself, at home!
We drink this grapefruit honey mint tea often because it's delicious and easy to make. And, since this tea is naturally caffeine free, we can enjoy it right before bed without worrying it'll keep us up!
This tea has some other benefits too, which makes it a great drink to make during cold and flu season:
- Grapefruit provides an extra boost of vitamin C
- Honey soothes a sore throat (source)
- Mint is a decongestant and soothes sore throats (source)
How to make
Stove top method (our preferred method)
Our favorite way to make this tea is on the stovetop. The steps are:
- Combine water and mint in a small saucepan and bring the water to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the mint steep for a few minutes. Remove the mint.
- Stir in grapefruit juice and honey.
Find the recipe card below for the complete recipe, including all ingredients and instructions.
Kettle method (shortcut)
If you don't have access to a stove, you can instead pour hot water from a kettle over the mint—and then mix everything together directly in the mug. The downsides of this method is that your drink won't be as hot because the grapefruit juice will cool down the hot water. And, we find the mint flavor doesn't get as pronounced. That said, we figured we'd share this alternate method in case you're in a pinch! But if you can make this recipe on the stove top, definitely do it!
Grapefruit Honey Mint Tea
- 3 large sprigs mint (more for garnish, optional)
- ¾ cup water
- ¾ cup fresh grapefruit juice (about 1 grapefruit, see note 1)
- Honey (to taste, about 1½ teaspoons)
- Make tea: In a small pot, combine water and mint. Cover and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 3 minutes to infuse the water with mint. Remove mint. Pour in grapefruit juice and stir in honey (to taste). Pour tea into a mug and garnish with extra mint, if using.
- Grapefruit juice: For the best flavor, freshly squeeze the grapefruit juice yourself. The yield will differ by fruit, so have an extra grapefruit on hand just in case. You can strain the juice before adding, if you'd like.